× If you expect answers you should describe your problem and give as much information's as possible. (SQL-Structure, Template Code, Joomla Version ...) Please read this before posting: joodb.feenders.de/support.html

you can take and data from a db in access?

• riga75
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #1087 by riga75
I need to create menu items that take data from a db made ​​in Access that has several tables, you can do it with your component?
thanks a lot

ste
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by joest.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #1088 by Dirk

riga75 wrote: I need to create menu items that take data from a db made ​​in Access that has several tables, you can do it with your component?

Yes you can. But Access is not an SQL database system. You must convert the data to SQL first.

If the tables are dependent relational (see here) you need the PRO version and a special tool to convert your ACCESS data. I use the Bullzip MSAcces2Mysql application. It is free and it works well.
www.bullzip.com/products/a2m/info.php
Joodb PRO can also import excel-datasheets. But of course not relations the between tables.

If you just have simple different tables, you can use the free version and phpmyadmin to import CSV or XML-Data exported by Access.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Dirk.

• riga75
11 years 7 months ago #1089 by riga75
Thank you very much, the problem is that every x days in the access db is updated and also the site made ​​in joomla that takes data from the db you need to update, how can I do it automatically?
thanks a lot

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #1090 by Dirk

riga75 wrote: Thank you very much, the problem is that every x days in the access db is updated and also the site made ​​in joomla that takes data from the db you need to update, how can I do it automatically?

That depends very much on your database.
  • amount of tables/entries
  • data-structure and type
  • roles/amount of connected people/workstations
  • speed of your internet connection
  • security issues

For a simple databases with public data you can use myodbc after converting the data to sql. Then the tables are linked via odbc with your online database and all changes are written directly to the online-tables.

Another way is to connect only one workstation to to the online SQL-server via odbc and write yourself an export function in VBA to do the export.
stackoverflow.com/questions/1453180/impo...s-access-db-to-mysql

If you don't have direct access to the sql server it get's more complicate. You must dump the data to a file, transfer it to your web-space using ftp or ssh and import it there with a cronjob. (I would change the provider^^)
www.networksolutions.com/support/how-to-...-database-using-ssh/

Anyway; it is complicate to set up and you should be done by an experienced sysadmin.

HINT: If the changes are marginal you can also do them online by hand using the joodb-editdata functionality in the admin backend.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Dirk.

Moderators: Dirkjoest