Ordering parameters for JooDB menu item

• rebers.afscmelocal52
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #2889 by rebers.afscmelocal52
Ordering parameters for JooDB menu item was created by rebers.afscmelocal52
Since arbitrary ordering continues to be an issue for end users like me (I see other questions about such a feature) I suggest a parameters option field in the menu config that triggers {joodb sortlink}.

My approach is this. I have a column in my JooDB table called:

'Ordering' Type=(set('0','1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9'))

Of course, it can be done differently--though this approach is helpful for other users. And you probably see my intent. Things at the top of the list get '0' and things at the bottom get '9'. My lists that need arbitrary ordering are not that long. Then {joodb sortlink} is configured appropriately for the header.

After sorting with the sortlink icon to get the desired ordering, I noticed I can copy the resulting URL. Then I can go back and create a new menu item for an External URL and plug that in. If there was a parameters field for the JooDB menu item, I could add the '?orderby=Ordering&ordering=ASC' and not need to set up a new URL menu item.

Or maybe you have another idea for arbitrary ordering...

Thanks for your continued development of this fantastic Joomla component.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by rebers.afscmelocal52.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• rebers.afscmelocal52
More
9 years 10 months ago #2890 by rebers.afscmelocal52
Replied by rebers.afscmelocal52 on topic Ordering parameters for JooDB menu item
It does occur to me that the menu configuration could be "aware" of (and provide a pull down menu for) any {joodb sortlink} instances in the catalog view. If selected, this (and a corresponding column with ordering data) might be an elegant solution to the arbitrary ordering issue.

Thanks again.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: Dirkjoest